Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to pay for the treatment services provided by Our House? 

No! Alberta Health covers the cost of addiction recovery and treatment services, meaning you as a client do not need to spend any money out of pocket to access the program at Our House.

Do you accept clients on methadone and suboxone? 

We are happy to enrol clients who are on medication-assist treatments such as opioid agonist therapy. 

Is there a waitlist? 

Our waitlist constantly varies. Please contact Admissions for more information.

How is my privacy protected?

Client confidentiality is taken very seriously at Our House. As a health service operating in Alberta, partially funded by Alberta Health Services, Our House protects your privacy in accordance with Albertan and Canadian health information legislation and regulations, including Alberta's Health Information Act. For more information about how Our House and other health services in Alberta protect your privacy and information, please visit Alberta Health's webpage.

Your privacy is also protected by Alberta's Freedom of Information and Privacy (FOIP) Act. The FOIP Act regulates how organizations like Our House collect, use and share information about you, among other things. For more information about the FOIP Act, please visit Alberta Health's webpage.


What is the admission criteria for the Residential Recovery Program? 

Our criteria for admission is:

  • Be experiencing addiction to alcohol or drugs

  • Have completed a short-term residential treatment program

  • Have a referral from a professional

  • Be able and willing to participate in group activities

  • End prescriptions to mood-altering medications

  • Apply through our Admissions/Intake Coordinator

  • Abstain from all drugs and alcohol for 7 days before you start the program

  • Agree to the rules of Our House

Learn more about enrolment


How do I get into the program?

First you must qualify for the program. Then, send an application to our Admissions/Intake Coordinator. Once we have space for you, we will contact you and you will have to do a little preparation for your stay at Our House. 


What can I bring with me?

It is okay to bring the following with you:

  • Personal belongings

  • Portable DVD, CD, or BluRay Players

  • Laptops

  • Computer monitors

  • Small stereos


What can I not bring with me?

It is NOT OK to bring any of the following with you:

  • Drugs

  • Alcohol

  • Any illegal substance

  • Weapons, like guns or knives

  • Sexual movies, pornographic images, anything depicting child molestation or abuse in any form (including on electronic devices)

  • Hand or power tools

  • Tool boxes

  • Personal furniture

  • Signal boosters of any kind (including for enhancing wireless signals)

  • Small appliances, such as coffee makers or humidifiers

  • Pets (including fish)


How long do I have to stay in the Residential Recovery Program? 

A typical stay lasts between 10 and 13 months. Each resident has a unique situation, so each resident has a unique experience that is designed to maximize their opportunity to change how they live.


Can I live at home but still enter the program?

Sorry, but no.

Our Residential Recovery Program is just that: a Residential Recovery Program. You have to live in residence while participating in the program.


Am I allowed to work or go to school while attending the program? 

Sorry, but no. This is a full time program. We appreciate that you want to turn your life around, and you're throwing yourself into that with everything you've got, but our program is 24/7. After six months, you will be able to talk to your assigned counsellor about work opportunities, but you will not be able to continue any work, training or schooling during our program.


Will I be allowed to leave the site? 

Absolutely! When you aren't involved in group activities, programs, events, or counselling, you'll be free to come and go! For the first 30 days, you won't be given an overnight pass, and you'll have to be accompanied by a senior resident. If you don't have an overnight pass, you'll need to be in by curfew: 11:00 p.m. on weekdays and 2:00 a.m. on weekends.


When is curfew?

Curfew is 11:00pm Monday through Friday, and 2:00am Saturday and Sunday.


Will my family be involved? 

We understand that it can be hard to have a family member in our Residential Recovery Program. Every effort is made to include family through counsellor contact and visitations. For more information, please contact us. 


Can I make phone calls, receive mail, or have visitors? 

Calls can be made during scheduled times and mail can be sent to Our House. 

All mail should be sent to our address. All parcels are to be opened with counsellor supervision and assistance.

Privacy legislation prevents us from verifying if someone is staying at Our House. This means that guests must be expected - we cannot come get you when they arrive.